Back to Search Results
Director, Electrophysiology Research
Professor of Medicine
Office Phone: 202-741-2323
- BS, Syracuse University, 1991
- MD, State University of New York, Syracuse, 1995
Marco Mercader is the Associate Professor at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
He joined the faculty of the George Washington University in 2002. Dr. Mercader has been named a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and of the Heart Rhythm Society. He is involved in a wide range of academic activities, research and community service.
- George Washington University 1995-1998
- George Washington University, 1998-2002
- Cardiac Electrophysiology and Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators and Catheter Ablations
Dr. Mercader has been named Director of Cardiac Arrhythmia Research at the Division of Cardiology.
- Lead Cardiologist, SRA with GW University and Allied Minds on “Real Time Imaging System for Evaluation of Ablation Lesions and Gaps” and STTR grant by NIH on developing a catheter to image cardiac ablation lesions using NADH fluorescence with Dr. Narine Sarvazyan and Nocturnal Product Development Group.
- Co-founder of LuxCath, LLC a subsidiary of Allied Minds developing a real-time lesion visualization monitoring tool for use during cardiac ablation procedures.
- Developing a Non-Pharmacologic control system for Post-Operative Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia and Atrial Fibrillation using AV nodal Fat Pad Stimulation with Dr. Jeffrey Moak from Children’s National Health System.
- Optical Tissue Interrogation that provides real-time monitoring of catheter-tissue contact and RF lesion progression using NADH fluorescence. Oral presentation at Cardiostim 2016
- New Generation of Catheters for Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (Phase II) Sponsor: Nocturnal Product Development LLC. NIH 2R41HL120511 (STTR phase 2, small business development grant)
- Real Time Imaging System for Evaluation of Ablation Lesions and Gaps. Funding Agency: Allied Minds
- Medical Mission to Honduras - Pacemaker and Defibrillator Implants with Dr. Tracy.
- UPRAA’s Excellence and Achievement Award: Health 2016
View publications by this faculty member.
Pedro Covas, MD, Rachel Voke, MD, Dorys Chavez, MD, Marco Mercader, MD and Cynthia Tracy, MD., Peripartum- Discovered Congenital Complete Heart Block in Honduras., American College of Cardiology 2019, ACC 2019, 2019 Mar
Tran Nguyen, Talal Alzahrani, James McCaffery, Raza Yunus, Adebayo Atanda, Marco Mercader and Allen Solomon., Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Reduces the Incidence of Atrial Fibrillation in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction Patients:A Retrospective Cohort Study from the Treatment of Preserved Cardiac Function Heart Failure with an Aldosterone Antagonist. Aldosterone Antagonist Trial. American Journal of Cardiology 2019, ACC 2019, Mar
McCaffrey JA, Alzahrani T, Datta T, Solomon AJ, Mercader M, Mazhari R, Nagy C, Reiner JS, Tracy CM., Outcomes of Acute Conduction Abnormalities Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation With a Balloon Expandable Valve and Predictors of Delayed Conduction System Abnormalities in Follow-up., American Journal of Cardiology, 2019 Jun, 123, 1845-1852
James McCaffrey, Talal Alzahrani, Marco Mercader, Allen Solomon, Cynthia Tracy, MD., Rate versus rhythm control in patients with atrial fibrillation and normal to mild left atrial enlargement: Insights from the AFFIRM Trial., European Society of Cardiology 2018., Europe, 2018 Aug,
Talal Alzahrani, James McCaffrey, Marco Mercader and Allen Solomon, Rate Versus Rhythm Control in Patients with Normal to Mild Left Atrial Enlargement: Insights from the Affirm Trial, Journal of Atrial Fibrillation, 2018 Oct
B Ummat, K Baron, M Mercader, J Reiner, BG Choi, R Zeman, A Choi. “Bridging the gap: multimodality imaging in a 56 year old patient with sudden death.” Journal of the American College of Cardiology 69(11): 2123, 2017.
Maziar Rahmani, MD, PhD, Ivan Peña, MD, Bianca Ummat, MD, Dorys A Chavez, MD, Pablo Toro, MD, Marcial Villeda, MD, Cynthia Tracy, MD, FACC, Marco Mercader, MD, FACC, FHRS. Chagas Heart Disease: A Comparison of Clinical and Intraoperative Pacing Parameters.American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions 2017. Washington DC.
Bianca Ummat, MD, Kaitlin Baron, MD, Marco Mercader, MD, Jonathan Reiner, MD, Robert Zeman, MD, Andrew Choi, MD. Bridging the gap multimodality imaging in a 56 year old patient with sudden death. Moderated Poster. American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions 2017. Washington DC.
Mercader MA, Chavez D, Tiu J. Essential Concepts of Cardiac Pacing and Device Therapy. Case-Based Learning. May 2017.
Mercader M, Armstrong KC, Ranbury T, Reddy V, Koruth J, Lasen C, Bown J, Sarvazyan N, Amirana O. Optical Tissue Interrogation that provides real-time monitoring of catheter-tissue contact and RF lesion progression using NADH fluorescence. Cardiostim 2016.
T. Alzahrani MD, M Aljishi MD, M Mercader MD, FACC, FHRS Optical Tissue Interrogation Technology Incorporated in Irrigated Radiofrequency Ablation Provides Real-Time Monitoring of Ablation Lesion Depth. BCVS 2016.
M Aljishi, H Afsour, T Chahbazian, N Muselimyan, L Swift, M Mercader and N Sarvazyan. Spectral Changes Caused by Radiofrequency Ablation of Cardiac Tissue. Poster to be presented at BCVS 2016. Circulation Research July 22, 2016, Volume 119, Issue Suppl 1. Abstract 430
N Muselimyan, L. Swift, H Asfour, T Chahbazian, R Mazhari, M Mercader, N. Sarvazyan.Seeing The Invisible: Revealing Atrial Ablation Lesions Using Hyperspectral Imaging Approach. PLOS ONE. December 2016
Gil, D. A., Swift, L. M., Asfour, H., Muselimyan, N., Mercader, M. A. and Sarvazyan, N. A Autofluorescence hyperspectral imaging of radiofrequency ablation lesions in porcine cardiac tissue.(2016), J. Biophoton.
Talal Alzahrani, Sripooja Satya, Marco Mercader. .Acute Pacing-Induced Cardiomyopathy. Case Report International 2016; 5:48–53.
Non-Pharmacologic control of Post-Operative Supraventricular Arrhythmias Using AV Nodal Fat Pad Stimulation in a Young Animal Open Heart Surgical Model. Moak J, Mercader M, Dingchao He, Trachiotis G, Langert J, Blicharz A, Montague E, Li X, Cheng Yao, McCarter R, Bornzin G, Martin G, Jonas R. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, 6(3):641-7, 2013 Jun.
Newly Created Animal Model of Human Post-Operative Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia. Moak J, Mercader M, Dingchao He, Trachiotis G, Li X, Blicharz H, Martin G, Jonas R. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 146(1):212-21, 2013 Jul.
Use of endogenous NADH fluorescence for real-time in situ visualization of epicardial radiofrequency ablation lesions and gaps. Mercader M, Kay M, Sarvazyan N. AJP-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 302: H2131-H2138, 2012.
Industry Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported a financial interest with the health care related companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the University and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.