Huadong PeiAssistant Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
Office Phone: 507-261-3100
Department: Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
- B.S., Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, 2002
- Ph.D., Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2007
ACS Research Scholar Grant: RSG-19-032-01-DMC
American Cancer Society Scholar
Proteins, Pathways and Human Health
Molecular Oncology and Cancer Epigenetics
Biochemical Genetics and Medicine
Dr. Pei’s laboratory is also interested in glycobiology and human diseases. Nutrient flux into the cell triggers protein modification by the amino sugar called N-acetylglucosamine (O-GlcNAc). This dynamic and reversible posttranslational modification is emerging as a key regulator of diverse cellular processes. We are interested in elucidating how dysregulation in this posttranslational modification contributes to human diseases including cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, obesity and aging.
We are employing a combination of experimental approaches, including biochemistry, cellular biology, mouse genetics, proteomics and metabolomics, to accomplish our research goals.
Selected Publications (from 30 publications):
- Peng Y, Liao Q, Tan W, Peng C, Hu Z, Chen Y, Li Z, Li J, Zhen B, Zhu W, Li X, Yao Y, Song Q, Liu C, Qi X*, He F* and Pei H*. The deubiquitylating enzyme USP15 regulates homologous recombination repair and cancer cell response to PARP inhibitors. Nat Commun. 2019 Mar 15;10(1):1224. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-09232-8.
- Peng C, Zhu Y, Zhang W, Zhang H, Chen Y, Zhao X,Zhang J, Zeng P, Qin W, and Pei H*. Regulation of the Hippo-YAP Pathway by Glucose Sensor O-GlcNAcylation. Mol Cell.2017 68(3):591-604.
- Yang X, Chen G, Li W, Peng C, Zhu Y, Yang X, Li T, Cao C, Pei H*. Cervical Cancer Growth Is Regulated by a c-ABL-PLK1 Signaling Axis. Cancer Res. 2017 77(5):1142-1154.
- Liu Chen Y, Liu H, Zhang H, Sun C, Hu Z, Tian Q, Peng C, Jiang P, Hua H, Li X, Pei H*. And-1 coordinates with CtIP for efficient homologous recombination and DNA damage checkpoint maintenance. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017 45(5):2516-2530.
- Deng M, Yang X, Qin B, Liu T, Zhang H, Guo W, Lee SB, Kim JJ, Yuan J, Pei H*, Wang L*, Lou Z*. Deubiquitination and Activation of AMPK by USP10. Mol Cell. 2016 18; 61(4):614-24. *Co-senior authors.
- Zhang H, Liu H, Chen Y, Yang X, Wang P, Liu T, Deng M, Qin B, Correia C, Lee S, Kim J, Sparks M, Nair AA, Evans DL, Kalari KR, Zhang P, Wang L, You Z, Kaufmann SH, Lou Z, Pei H*. A cell cycle-dependent BRCA1-UHRF1 cascade regulates DNA double-strand break repair pathway choice. Nat Commun. 2016 5; 7:10201. doi: 10.1038/ncomms10201.
- Liu H, Zhang H, Wang X, Tian Q, Hu Z, Peng C, Jiang P, Wang T, Guo W, Chen Y, Li X, Zhang P, Pei H*. The Deubiquitylating Enzyme USP4 Cooperates with CtIP in DNA Double-Strand Break End Resection. Cell Rep. 2015 13(1):93-107.
- Xu Q, Yang C, Du Y, Chen Y, Liu H, Deng M, Zhang H, Zhang L, Liu T, Liu Q, Wang L, Lou Z, Pei H*. AMPK regulates histone H2B O-GlcNAcylation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 42(9):5594-604.
- Pei H, Zhang L, Luo K, Qin Y, Chesi M, Fei F, Bergsagel PL, Wang L, You Z, Lou Z. MMSET regulates histone H4K20 methylation and 53BP1 accumulation at DNA damage sites. Nature. 2011 470(7332):124-8.
- Pei H, Li L, Fridley BL, Jenkins GD, Kalari KR, Lingle W, Petersen G, Lou Z, Wang L. FKBP51 affects cancer cell response to chemotherapy by negatively regulating Akt. Cancer Cell 2009 16(3):259-66.
Centers and Institutes
GWU Cancer Center
- GW Cancer Center
View publications by this faculty member from January 1, 2013 - present
Additional publications published before January 1, 2013 may be available within Himmelfarb Library's database.
Industry Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported a financial interest with the healthcare related companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the University and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.